Lincoln Community School offers an international-standard range of learning-centered facilities designed to maximise your child's educational experience.
Our students find ample space for learning on a secure campus in a quiet residential quarter within reach of Accra's dynamic business, shopping, and neighborhood centers.
Offices, student spaces, and sports areas are organized around welcoming courtyards that serve as community gathering areas. We offer comprehensive athletics facilities, comfortable classrooms, and well-maintained grounds on a campus with full wireless internet coverage, 24-hour security, and a high-capacity backup generator. A dedicated parking lot and experienced traffic direction ensures smooth campus access.
If you have never visited our campus - whether you are a prospective family or simply a curious member of the Accra community - we invite you to stop by for a tour. Contact the Admission office by email (email@example.com) or call us at 030 277 4018.
As foundational spaces for teaching and study, LCS classrooms are alive with student discovery and creativity. Climate-controlled, well-lit rooms offer flexible arrangements of educational hardware to support a variety of learning experiences.
Lincoln community school features:
- 78 classrooms in modern academic buildings on a 7 acre campus
- a philosophy of "print-rich" spaces displaying education visuals and student work
- open-space rooms with flexible arrangements for individual and group learning
- smartboard presentation displays in all elementary school rooms
- wireless internet access throughout campus
- full backup utility systems for uninterrupted learning
The LCS Early Childhood Center provides a dedicated and appropriate space for our pre-school, pre-Kindergarten, and Kindergarten classrooms. The ECC features:
- a self-contained educational space
- direct entry into secure areas
- large classrooms with class toilets
- kitchen facilities
- age-appropriate playground with playhouses, climbing structures, swings, slides, bicycle path, sandbox, play kitchen
- playground equipment including sand toys, bicycles, balance and movement skill toys, hopscotch
- ample garden space for investigations, including a rock garden, vegetable garden, and landscaped play area
Completed in August 2012 the Middle School Building is a specialized space for grades 6 - 8 students. It houses:
- 6 classrooms
- 2 science labs
- 3 offices, which includes the Middle School Principal’s office and small meeting room
- Courtyard with eating area and lockers for MS students
Inaugurated in August 2014 the High School Building is a multi-faceted addition to campus. The HS building features:
- 7 classrooms
- 1 band room
- 2 Practice rooms for music
- 2 Art Rooms
- The CAS Office
- Assistant HS Principal/ IB Coordinator's Office
- HS Library
- 2 meeting rooms
- Eating Area
- Outdoor Court for ES PE
- 2 storage rooms
Lincoln science laboratories and classrooms are equipped with everything our students need to explore the inner workings of the macroscopic and microscopic world. Spacious rooms feature smartboard presentation displays and regularly host small classes of eager learners, presided over by our master's-degree teachers. Availability of school-owned laptops for each student gives pupils extensive tools for research, data recording, and presentations.
Science students run hands-on experiments using items from well-stocked laboratory shelves and cabinets such as:
- high-powered microscopes
- chemicals for chemistry, biology, environmental systems, and physics labs, along with proper safety equipment
- full range of Vernier brand sensors
- electrical meters and probes
- Van Der Graff generator
- exercise rate monitor
- preserved animal specimens and dissection tools
- digital water baths
- organic chemistry models
- student-monitored weather station
Laboratory classes also regularly utilize the local campus environment for real-world investigations of scientific concepts.
The LCS campus houses elementary, middle and secondary school libraries that feature easy access to computing and ebook technology as well as plenty of physical books for eager readers. Collectively known as The HUB, our libraries boast:
- over 23,000 cataloged resources (books, videos, DVDs, audio books, Kindles, and more)
- over 43,000 items circulated each year
- over 900 registered patrons
Our libraries are well-used spaces providing quality education and entertainment resources for growing learners, and they are open to all members of the LCS community.
Visit the LCS library website to learn more.
The LCS Music Department serves K-12 students from a well-equipped facility located in the Performing Arts Building and a sound proof band room in the HS building. Music teaching and learning spaces in the building include:
- elementary and middle school music rooms
- a sound proofed middle/high school band room in the HS building
- 2 practice rooms
- a black box choral and instrumental ensemble practice room with flexibly-configurable black box risers
The carpeted elementary music room is generously equipped with a wide variety of percussion, Orff and Ghanaian xylophones and drums, a keyboard, and upright piano. The middle/high school band room features band instruments, an electric piano, and music stands. The middle school music room has an accompaniest keyboard, Ghanaian instruments, and keyboards for small ensemble groups to work on performance projects.
LCS visual arts classrooms are lively centers of creative activity where students find the materials they need to tap into their artistic potential. Separate arts rooms for elementary, middle school, and diploma program students ensure adequate space for innovative expression. Our program encourages students to engage with and learn from the Ghanaian arts culture with visiting artists coming to the school and our budding artists traveling to local galleries.
Our arts classrooms are stocked to facilitate student work in:
- sculpture and clay
- drawing in pencil and charcoal
- digital photography
As of the 2011-2012 school year, the LCS Nkomode (Meet Me There) communal space has been transformed into the Nkomode Performing Arts Theater (NPAT). This pavilion-style structure is a pleasant space for medium-size assemblies and performances. The NPAT features:
- tiered seating area accomodating over 250 audience members
- multi-purpose performance space with built-in sound system
- a raised stage
- facilities equipped for lighting instruments
The Visual and Performing Arts Center (VPAC) is a working and performance space providing flexible teaching, practice, and staging area for the visual and peforming arts programs at LCS. Regularly used for academic and arts exhibits, student performances, and community gatherings, the VPAC is:
- a wood-floored performance venue
- equipped to handle performance lighting and sound
- a more intimate staging space, can comfortably accomodate up 175 audience members
Lincoln Community School maintains hundreds of regularly-upgraded Macintosh desktop and laptop computers, giving our students, staff, and teachers the very best in computing resources for learning.
Three computer labs are available for students to advance their learning of and through information technology. Each lab has over 20 computers with internet and network access, arranged for both ease of use and instructor supervision.
Computing resources are also available in each regular classroom. In addition, the elementary school has access to a mobile cart of 22 laptops for student use in classrooms and in the library. Secondary school students may check out any of the 60 laptops available in the Secondary School Library HUB.
Wireless internet access is avaialble throughout our campus.
A well-maintained 6-lane swimming pool greets visitors to the LCS campus with the promise of a cool dip in the water on a tropical day. Lincoln students benefit from physical education classes in swimming and from a full competititve swim-meet program. Adjacent bleachers and a public address system makes the venue a welcoming one for races and other water-focused events. Recently converted to a salt water pool, all students are able to use it comfortably.
The LCS pool staff maintain community times, opening the pool to school family members at selected morning, evening, and weekend hours. In addition, weekend swimming lessons are offered regularly by experienced aquatics instructors.
Our wood-floored gymnasium, which we call the Multi-Purpose Hall (MPH), is a center of community life. Fully equipped as an indoor sports facility, it also hosts performances, assemblies, exhibitions, and other community events. Designed with open sides to take advantage of Accra's sea breezes, walk past and you might hear, on any given day, the squeak of tennis shoes, the swish of a basketball hitting "nothing but net," the pounding of drums convening a school assembly, the cheers of spectators at a volleyball match, or the harmonies of a chorus line practicing for a musical.
As a sports facility, the MPH gymnasium features:
- a full-size basketball court with suspended backboards
- volleyball as a main event or two side-by-side courts
- equipment and space for floor hockey and indoor soccer
- weather-protected area for a variety of physical education activities
- changing rooms with toilets and showers
- a fitness center
- electronic scoreboard
- built-in bleachers
As a performance and assembly venue, the MPH has:
- a large, curtained, proscenium-arch stage
- brand new sound and lighting equipment
- support for full-sized musical and theatrical productions
- movable risers for flexible staging
- seating for over 500 people
In addition to the MPH gymnasium, a hard-surfaced outdoor court is available for recreational and competitive basketball and volleyball games.
In Ghana, soccer is the sport of choice for many young people, and Lincoln Community School would not be complete without its 'football' pitch. Available for friendly games at recess and for full competitive varsity girls and boys matches, the soccer field sees plenty of action between its regulation goalposts.
In addition to soccer matches, the school's main field hosts a variety of physical education activities and community events. Its grassy expanse is often enlivened by races and games at community picnics and bazaars.
A secondary field is also available for practice and after-school activity space.
Within a caring, respectful and multicultural environment, the LCS school clinic supports student learning by providing compassionate nursing care through innovation, collegiality, and leadership, with a focus on the unique needs of patients and families. There are two school clinics on campus, located on each end of campus, one serves ES students and the other serves MS and HS students as well as staff members. The clinics are equipped with 2 nurses and is open and staffed from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm to cover after school activities.
The Lincoln clinics are equipped with:
- a welcoming reception and waiting area
- a well-stocked treatment room
- 9 beds in total
- patient rooms
- ready-to-go first aid bags
- Automated External Defibrillator
- oxygen equipment and nebulizers
- stretchers and a wheelchair
As part of our philosophy of paying close attention to our student's educational and emotional needs, Lincoln maintains a counseling center with 3 individual counselors assigned to the Primary Years (pre-K to grade 5) Program, Middle Years (grades 6 to 10) Program, and Diploma (grades 11 and 12) Program sections.
The center and its counselors provide a safe and confidential space for students - and teachers and parents as well - to discuss and work through problems in any aspect of curricular or extracurricular life. Dedicated office and consultation rooms mean counseling clients can be served in a welcoming and private space. The center has a full range of age-appropriate tools and resources to help children and young people express themselves and discuss the issues they face.
In addition, the Diploma Program counselor provides comprehensive college and placement counseling to all our college-bound high school students. Counselors also work together to offer regular parenting classes to LCS families.
Engaged school-children need plenty of energy to take full advantage of their learning- and activity-packed days, and at Lincoln we help our students make lunchtime both healthy and fun. Informal courtyard eating spaces take advantage of Ghana's tropical climate and encourage students to make meal time a communal extension of their classrooms.
Students may bring their own lunch or purchase meals and healthy snacks on campus. Global Sourcing and Supply (GSS) under the name of Blue Papaya offers well-prepared, nutritious meals for sale throughout the day to students of all ages. A variety of foods such as pastas, burgers, and Ghanaian staples like jollof rice mean students can choose something famliar, or challenging, to their taste.
The LCS Administration Building houses our reception area, Head of School suite, business offices, and Advancement and Admissions departments. The nerve center of school management, two conference rooms and pleasant offices provide space for formal and informal administrative meetings. Located in a central area, students, parents, and administrators model our communal approach to learning as they mix in the halls and common areas.
Traffic flow in and around campus is a top priority for the facilities managers at Lincoln, and our student pick-up and drop-off times are well-rehearsed and closely supervised. Experienced traffic directors and security personnel manage the movement of vehicles at all times for a hassle-free school commute. Dedicated lots offer visitors and staff secure space for parking throughout the day.
At LCS we take security very seriously. The following principles guide security measures on campus:
1. All members of the LCS Community will, at all times when on campus, wear and present, when asked, a valid LCS ID card.
2. Cars and drivers are only allowed on campus with an LCS car pass and valid LCS ID or if arrangements have been previously made with security guards.
3. Drivers, when parking their vehicle on campus, will be required to wait in designated waiting areas. Drivers at all times must wear an LCS valid ID or they may not come on campus.
4. All visitors must register at the main gate and produce a photo ID. LCS security will confirm a visitor’s appointment with the Front Desk, issue a visitor pass and will accompany the visitor to the appropriate office on campus.
5. LCS personnel will inform the main gate security personnel when they are expecting a visitor.
7. LCS community members (parents and staff) will be responsible for security clearance and for the behavior of all guests invited to LCS campus.